Tuesday, July 12, 2011

84th Mt. Marathon Race!

On the 4th, I was extremely privileged to take part in the 84th running of the Mt. Marathon Race right in my own little town.  This race is legendary and our town of 3,500 grows to about 30,000 every 4th of July because of it.  I had to enter a lottery to get in and frustrated many who've been trying for years by getting in my first try!

So, for this race, we start downtown (one block kitty-corner from my house) and run up to the mountain behind my house, then proceed to race straight up the mountain, back down again and back through town.  The distance is only a 5k (3.1 miles), but the elevation gain is 3,022 feet at an average grade of 38 degrees!  It's intense!

And I am just so grateful that I was able to do it at all.  About 2 days after I found out I was in I started having some knee problems.  But after some care from a physical therapist, I was ready by race day, so thank you Heavenly Father.

Here's some pics:

Headed up the hill toward the mountain.  Can you see me?  Hint: my hair is flying everywhere

And here I am headed down.  It's really fun to watch because everyone stands at the bottom of what you see here and waits for people to appear from the right after sliding down a 20 ft. cliff. 

I'd like to pretend I'm that really fit girl in the sports bra, but really that's me who's about to fall on top of an older lady, lol. 


PAIN

And to explain my funky tape all over the place:
On my knees to support them
On my ankles to keep rocks out


In action!  My arms were flying to catch me during my stumbly descent.  Don't tell my mom, but I was on the verge of losing control almost the entire way.


Now I'm approaching the finish line and apparently taking a little nap.  Lol, I didn't even see my parents, who came up to Alaska early to see me run this thing, because I was closing my eyes to get through it all.



And I finished!  I did it all in 1:23:53.  I don't know how that's possible because when I practiced it took me 2 hours to do just the mountain.  Needless to say, I was completely spent and glad to be alive. 
They show you this mandatory safety video the night before, if you're a rookie, all about falling rocks and people falling down the mountain and getting disoriented and dehydrated, so I was happy that I made it unharmed!

This picture says it all




114th place (out of 300-something), YEAH!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Nicely done Meg! You're amazing!

Amy said...

Woo hoo! you're awesome. You look great, too. That sports bra girl has NOTHING on you! Way to go.

Josh & Teddie said...

How amazing are you! Way to go!

hilary w said...

I am so impressed! I can't believe how steep that mountain was. I'm so happy you came out in one piece!

Scottie and Angie said...

Wow that is awesome girl!!! I am so very proud of you! That seriously looked intense and scary at times. I loved the picture of you and Ben hugging together at the end!

You rock!

taryn said...

That is so awesome Meg! Me and Amanda were just talking about how you did this, and we both agreed that it is very impressive. I would definitely have fallen and slid down that rocky hill/mountain area. Maybe on purpose because I would have been pretty tired.

Nathan said...

That is really awesome. Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...