So I ran a 16 mile trail race today.
It was an experience!
I did a practice run through before the race that was totally rockin'.
Today... I totally lost it.
I started out strong, all the way up to 8.5 miles with lots of steep hills.
Then, I totally bonked.
Bonked def: crashing physically due to lack of food energy stores and/or dehydration.
I think I bonked today because I didn't eat enough protein
and because this race came at the end of a cuh-razy week.
At first it was just a bummer and didn't feel good.
But then it turned downright scary. I got majorly dizzy.
I had brought a bunch of cashews with me in case that happened, but the nuts didn't even touch the bonk.
I had to walk a lot and was only able to run the flat portions due to pure motivation to survive and picturing myself coming home to all three of my guys.
When I stopped to let people pass me, I had to hold on to trees to keep from falling over.
I wasn't sure if I could make it to the finish, which meant staying on the trail in the cold rain until someone could run down and ask for help.
So I kept going even though I couldn't see straight and was just trusting in the Lord to keep me on the trail and safe. And you'd better believe I was praying for help. I think I even specifically asked that someone would give me some food.
And that prayer was answered. I'm still emotional about it all as I type this.
I guess I got bad enough that it was obvious something was wrong.
3 miles after I crashed, two different people offered me some of their food stores.
One man, Fred who was walking the race, opened his Gu packets for me (because my hands didn't even work) and then proceeded to stay with me until I felt well enough to run again.
Bless that man, I wish I knew who he was.
As I passed that kind man, running at full capacity, I thanked him and burst into tears right there on the trail.
Then I sailed down the remaining 4 1/2 miles like it was nothing.
I was so glad to cross that finish line easily, feeling well, and safe and sound.
Today was definitely the hardest thing I have endured physically and I don't regret going through it at all. It has made me a stronger person.
And I think from now on, I will be on the lookout for those bleary-eyed runners in my life who I could maybe help along the way.
--------------------------------------------------
Also:
Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you on the east coast as Irene approaches. Please let us know how you do through this storm. We love you!

1 comment:
Oh man! So sorry you bonked during the race. I am glad that there are kind and observant people out there who were willing to share their gu.
Good job for finishing! That is a big race my friend.
Post a Comment