Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Get Out... WAY Out!

(I am still planning on going private, just waiting until the right time)

People,

We have BIG news. No, its not another baby!

But we are moving out of Utah... WAY out!

We are moving to...



Seward, ALASKA!

Which is here:



And I am not even joking.
This is huge, this is crazy, this is awesome.

After much thought and prayer, we knew Heavenly Father wanted us to stay somewhere in the west. Alaska popped up out of nowhere with great pay, benefits, retirement and alluring wilderness. Ben and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, it always looked absolutely incredible to us. But deciding to move there was no simple task.

We spent a long time researching, talking to locals and others who have lived there, and praying about moving to Alaska, and specifically this town.

At first, when Ben mentioned it I said, "ALASKA?!" But as we've taken this journey I can see Heavenly Father leading us there.

I sure hope we like it! I'm confident we will.

The town is population 3,500 and is about 2 hours away from Anchorage. It is surrounded by incredible mountains full of wildlife like big horn sheep, mountain goats, moose and bears and is at the end of Resurrection Bay, where you can see otters, sea lions and whales. (We like animals in our family)

I am excited to live in a place that is still a little wild, like a frontier. I look forward to a quieter, slower pace of life with maybe a little more hard work and planning required. And I am anxious to get back to a small town with a true sense of community.

It is strange to be moving that close to Russia, lol and so far from everything else. But we are excited and positive, and above all faithful in the direction our Father has given us.

I heard someone say once that anyone who moves to Alaska must be a little crazy and a little weird...

I think we'll fit right in!

14 comments:

Nancy said...

So awesome! Kind of a bummer since we'll be heading back to Utah (hopefully not for forever) so we'll miss you guys, but so exciting for you!

Everyone I know who has ever lived in Alaska has LOVED it!

Also, when your blog goes private, I want in. :)

Amy said...

I am so jealous. That sounds like Heaven and I think you guys will absolutely love it. I'm ready for another adventure, but it looks like we're staying here. So I'll have to live vicariously through you. Congratulations!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't expect that! How awesome, though. I can totally see you guys LOVING it there. I've never been, but had a friend from AK, and I was mesmerized hearing about how beautiful it is up there. Say hi to Russia for us, hahaha :)

The McBrides said...

holy cow! That is SO awesome! We would LOVE to come visit someday! Congrats, keep up the blog, I want to hear ALL about your Alaskan adventures!!! good luck with everything!!!

Unknown said...

Just like Mrs. Mike... up North! Congratualtions, I have a friend from Alaska that visits home at least twice a year. Her pictures are gasp worthy. I'm jealous!

Megan said...

That sounds like fun!! And brave!! I'm excited to hear how everything goes!!

maynardmoments said...

It sounds so awesome! I think you guys will have a great time there. It is so beautiful. I still wish you were going to be in Utah with us for a while though. Dang. We will just have to come visit and get us a big bear.

Scottie and Angie said...

I am happy you are happy about it, But I am sad to see you leave Utah
:(
Now when I make my trips there will be no Meg to look forward to seeing.
Honestly though I am happy for you and know it will be a fun new adventure for your family! I have vacationed there once and loved it!WOW Alaska who would have thought, how exciting!!!!

taryn said...

I actually think you guys will love it in Alaska. I've never been, but after reading your post about the fun outdoors and wild frontier it seems like an appropriate place for 2 cute little guys to grow up. Plus you and Ben have always been adventurous, right! Congrats, we're excited for you!

If you need any help packing/cleaning/moving let me know!

The Hoen's said...

i thought for sure it was going to be Wyoming. oh so dear to my heart... hey, but this is even better because we have been planning another trip to Alaska. we loved it!! we of course did not live there, but we loved vacationing there and want to go back soon. we were seriously planning this summer, but alas, have no money because all my lovely student loans are due in august and i refuse to pay the government a dime of interest. so, we ARE going next summer and will plan a detour to Seward. YEAH!!! when do you leave? come over again before you leave; we will feed you.

Jenny said...

Meg, that is awesome! What an adventure. It looks so beautiful there. When do you leave?
(We will be in Utah from mid June- mid July. We must get together before you head North.)
Congrats on the exciting news!

hilary w said...

Wow...that IS big news! You can't get that much farther from Utah unless you left the country! What an adventure. Travis and I have always wanted to go to Alaska, too. It looks gorgeous. And it sounds like the summers are idyllic. Travis' cousin and her family live in Alaska, and she's a Utah native, and it sounds great. I'm sure you guys will love it. I can't wait to hear about your adventure!

Anonymous said...

That is some BIG news! (alaska being really big and all). Congratulations on the new job/adventure/town/life, although I will definitely miss the opportunity of seeing you guys in Utah. When's the big move?

Lisa said...

WOW. This is huge. Exciting. An excuse to come visit you, I've always wanted to go to Alaska! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...