So we arrived in Anchorage the evening of August 8th, then drove the 2 hours to Seward, finally getting in at about 11:00 pm Alaska time, which equalled 3:00 am to our tired bodies. Thanks to friends in the church (friends we had before we even really got there, thanks to our church-wide family) we had a 5th wheel to crash in, and boy did we crash. Ben and I were awoken mid-slumber by the piercing cry of a passing bald eagle... "Welcome to Alaska!" This place is wild.
As little boys do, no matter what time they go to bed, Russ and Tuck were up by 6:00 am, so we took off to find our little house. Here it is: (and I will take some better shots without the zoom lense on, but these will have to do for now)
> We only had our little Pathfinder, so Ben took off to load up as much as he could from our storage unit. We ended up with the boys beds set up, our luggage, and a memory foam pad on the floor for the first night. Then Ben was off to new employee training the next morning... 2 hours away across the peninsula... Welcome to Alaska! You have to travel to get anywhere.
So the boys and I hung out at the house without a car all day with only the toys that came on Russel's back. But they were great! Over the next week Ben would stop by and load up the car on the way home from work and we gradually put it away. It made for a very non-chaotic move-in, which was great. And the boys and I genuinely enjoyed practically camping out in the house and going to the playground during the day.
The weather was soupy and wet and I didn't even get to see the mountains for quite a while. But eventually and cleared up and these are literally the views from our windows: Absolutely spectacular. And though our house is tiny, (2 beds, 1 bath, 850 square feet) it has good space and a nearly full height crawl space basement for storage... and it's a single family home, which really makes all the difference to us.
She's a 1 year old Australian Shepherd and a beauty. She is pretty much exactly the same size as Russ. About 35 lbs, 1 1/2 ft tall and 3 + ft long. She is so good. She came housetrained and she is mild, patient and loving. She sleeps in the boys beds, lets the boys climb on her and comes when called. She is just right for us right now.
We went to a small beach just at the edge of town one afternoon. The boys were having a blast throwing rocks:
Looking at our sea lion friend:
Alaska is an incredible place and I know Heavenly Father lead us here and loves us and created this world, because the beauty here is indescribable and everything about this place is what I needed right now. This place excites the senses and soothes my soul, and I truly find spiritual peace and closeness with my Heavenly Father when I am in nature. The opportunities to experience that for me come almost daily and I'm exhausted because I'm taking advantage of it so frequently! More Alaska to come soon!
16 comments:
I can't even believe those views! How gorgeous! I'm glad you guys are getting settled and enjoying the opportunity to be there!
Yay!!!!! I have been waiting, seriously, for updates. SO thank you thank you! And can I just tell you how much I LOVE your little house. How much I would come join you in a heartbeat? What a fantastic opportunity for you guys, what an amazing place for your boys to play and grow. Your boys are just about the same age that Kate and Julia were when we moved to Rhode Island. It was like moving to a different country because it was so different from the west coast. And it was the best experience ever for us.
Enjoy yourselves with just your little family right now, cuz I'm sure the visitors are going to start streaming in soon enough.
I love you!
Meg! So fun to hear from you and your move and your new place! I love it. I am so glad that not only are you liking your new home, but that you are loving it. It is truly beautiful! I have to say, I do miss you and our little play dates. PS I called you a couple of times this summer, but haven't been able to catch you, so when you get the chance, call me! I'm smiling for you!
Girl--I too have been waiting anxiously for an update. Ben, your school buddy misses you! I am now more than excited to come visit after viewing your pics. I am happy you made it safely. Adventure always awaits in Alasaka. Well, if I get fired anytime soon I think I may join you. We loved our visit there two years ago and have been anxious to return. Now we have an even bigger excuse to visit. :)
Your house is so cute!! And I cannot believe those views! No wonder you had a hard time staying inside :).
Holy. MOLEY!! I've been wondering how you guys have been doing!! So gorgeous. So, so, so gorgeous. I can't imagine living in that. I'm glad that you're enjoying it, but I'm sure that some parts are tough. And I love your cute little house! And your cute little dog! Love it!!
Yay! I'm so happy to read this update! Can I have a little blue house with a red door when I grow up? How adorable is that? Bald eagles and sea lions...holy cow! I can't wait to hear more about this crazy/gorgeous place!
what an amazing adventure, it is SO good to hear that you guys made it there safe and sound and are all settled in and doing well! It looks absolutely spectacular, keep up the blog so that i can enjoy the beauty of Alaska vicariously!
Wow--it is so GORGEOUS!! Glad you guys are loving it and getting settled!
Holy Moly! That is GORGEOUS! I love your house. Those adorable bright colors against such a dramatic backdrop. Wow. I bet you guys are loving it there... I want to come too!
Also, picturing Aly snuggled up with your boys is so sweet. What lucky little boys! All kids need a little wilderness (or a lot!) and a dog of their own. I wish mine had that!
I can't wait to hear more. I am sure there are challenges, but I bet I would love Seward for all the reasons you seem to. Horray for internet connection! Keep the details coming!
YAY an update!!! WOW Alaska looks amazing and you seem to be so happy, which makes me happy! Your home seriously is picture perfect:)i can't believe how much the boys have grown. Miss you
Oh yes congrats on the dog:)She is cute.
Wow! Ive been constantly checking for updates and now that they are here all I can say is wow! Its beautiful, butwe miss you guys!
Wow, and wow again. Those pictures are amazing! What a marvelous place where you live! I don't envy your upcoming winter, but I do envy your summers!
This post is AMAZING! I couldn't get enough of all the details of your new life in Alaska. It sounds like you are loving it so far! I think Alaska seems like such a beautiful place, and so I love hearing about your experiences. Please please PLEASE keep the updates coming!
What a GORGEOUS place! Unbelievable! I am so glad you are so happy there. It seems like just the right spot for you and your family. Your house is so cute. I love it. Enjoy.
Post a Comment