Thursday, October 28, 2010

First Snow

9:31 am:
Mom shows Russ and Tuck the first snow of the season.




Everyone said we'd have snow by Halloween. I think they meant it's usually covering the ground by then. I don't think that'll be the case this year, but it is snowing.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about snow this early. Actually, I thought I would resent it. I come from Rhode Island where it doesn't snow until December. But I was forgetting how magical snow is. Especially when it falls in those big, fluffy balls. And when I saw those magical balls drifting to the ground, it brought our whole family joy.

Joy for the change in the air. It is always hard to change, but it always brings growth. As I think of the many changes we've had in our lives as of late and of the challenges this Alaskan winter could bring I am grateful for it all.

We have moved 6 times in 5 years. And we have grown and learned so quickly because of it. Winter in Seward, Alaska brings lots of snow and rain. It means avalanches will close the highway from time to time. In the past, it has meant bridges washing out and needing to be rebuilt. So now as we go into winter and face another learning experience that our most challenging move has to offer, I embrace the changes it will bring for our family.

I am hoping we will learn to plan ahead better, to be more thoughtful of others' struggles and needs, to grow closer to those around us and those we love, and to find contentment and joy in what we have (we can't just run to the craft store, etc for instant fun ya know).

Geesh.. all that from a few snowflakes!

5 comments:

Kate said...

And yet here in Utah, we had three inches yesterday!! There definitely is something magical about snow though, and I'm sure you'll learn a lot about how to prepare for it in Alaska!

Lisa said...

I'm not excited for our first snow! But we usually get our first snow around Halloween, too. I was always bummed as a kid that I had to wear a coat over my Halloween costumes. I like snow alright during the holidays--it feels festive--but afterwards, when it just keeps coming and coming... January, February, March, April, sometimes even May? That's no fun. But if I ever feel like whining, I'll think of you in Alaska with bridges breaking and whatnot.

Erin said...

Well, it's 85 and sunny here, the kids were all sweating in their costumes at our halloween party! I am going to miss the Christmas snow, but good luck to you guys come march and april. Clark would be in heaven, but I think you are one brave family! And I am loving all the posts, with you guys so far away, it is so wonderful to keep up!

Josh & Teddie said...

oh man MEgan...it does look pretty! I also will be thinking of you guys if I ever start feeling sorry for myself about the snow here!

the andersons said...

I love your attitude Megan and I hope you find lots of enjoyment this winter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...