Ben, the kids and I returned Sunday night from a QUICK trip to California for the sister's wedding. It was beautiful. As we were driving home at one in the morning, we realized we were looking at the northern lights in the sky. It wasn't quite the bright, pronounced curtains of light we all see in pictures, but it was beautiful and a treat to realize I was experiencing that miracle for the first time.
It got me thinking about light.
We were recently able to view the General Conference for our church. The messages shared were full of light and truth. The Spirit was strong and I was inspired to follow the prophet's counsel, study the scriptures, be more consistent in teaching my children the gospel and to be a more mindful, watchful and deliberate parent.
While in California, most of our family on Ben's side were able to participate in sacred ordinances sealing family members together for all eternity. As we sat together in the temple, surrounded by pure white, the light of the warm California sun flooded through the windows and set everything aglow. When we finished our work, we all stood together in front of the mirrors, filled with love, the Spirit and the light of Christ as we admired our eternal family.
Tuesday, Ben had to drive two hours to the other side of the peninsula to get something for work, and invited the rest of us along. Having gotten about 4 hours of sleep the night before after spending 7 hours on airplanes, my initial reaction was no way. But something made me really want to spend the time with Ben. Our tired boys were able to sleep in the car and Ben and I had a wonderful conversation about the light we have received about being parents and raising our children.
Yesterday, I was asked to do a rather large favor. I was asked to tend a young child for a member of the branch that I've barely met, for an undetermined amount of time, while she tended to her ailling mother in the hospital in Anchorage. Seeing that we had just returned from our trip, sleep deprived and chaotic, I was hesitant. But I prayed and talked with Ben and we agreed. This afternoon in the glorious afternoon light, I saw this...
(Shane, the boy we are watching)
and I saw the light.
To me, right now, the light that Heavenly Father has turned on in my mind and my heart is all about family and service. I have truly realized what the Savior wants us to understand about "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God" and about losing your life to find it. Today has been one of the most glorious days because we allowed the Lord to push our family out of our comfort zone and fill us with light.
I am so grateful for the knowledge and understanding that the gospel and the Spirit have brought to my life. I am thankful to be here in Alaska, and for all the opportunities for service that provides. I am thankful for families, especially the opportunity to create my own and to learn for myself why families are central to the Lord's plan of happiness.
And right now, I'm thankful for my beautiful, beautiful boys
in the glorious afternoon light.
4 comments:
I love this post! It's so beautiful and you've helped to fill me with light :) I hope I can remember to always serve my family and fellow men, despite my circumstances. Thanks!
Beautiful! Thank you so much Megan.
Thank you so much for posting this. I felt the spirit as I read it and it brought me to tears. I think you bring light with you wherever you go Megan. The light you see around you has to be a reflection of how you shine. Love you.
Thank you for being such a great example to me! From the time I read this I've been pondering it, especially the part where you said you were trying "to be a more mindful, watchful and deliberate parent." Great concept and I am very much trying to incorporate it, especially as Avery is becoming more and more of a teenager (ahead of schedule, of course). I have to force myself to try and see the world from the kids' perspectives and really teach them the things they need to do to survive and flourish (sp?). I miss you so much! I love you!
Post a Comment