Monday, September 5, 2011

Small Town Livin'

While my family was here, they definitely got a taste of what it's like living in a small, secluded, Alaskan town.  After returning from another trip to Homer,  I found out that a small traveling circus would be in town that day.  We all went over to the Sealife Center to find they were doing a parade and sampling of their acts right outside!


So of course I couldn't miss the real show.  My sister and I took the kids and went to the New Old Time Chatauqua show.  I thought it was so fun, because it was just a group of people camping for the summer and demonstrating their talents and making us all laugh.  The theater was packed by the way.


Also part of small town living is needing a good imagination.  Thanks to Avery for building some awesome forts!



Lots of hanging out in the rain, doing research



And lots of time spent at Red's.
Oh, you don't know what Red's is?  You are missing out my friends!
Red's is an outdoor burger shack that recently added some indoor seating to their operation.
You get to eat inside a bus!
It's so fun and the kids get to drive the bus and open and close the door while we all listen to oldies and wait for some delicious burgers, sweet potato fries and ONION RINGS.
Yeah, baby!
My sister actually elected to celebrate her birthday there and none of us objected to that!


Guess what?  I looooove living in a small town.

---------------------

Another note:

Russ starts pre-school tomorrow...
I'm excited for him and I know he'll love it,
But...
Well, let's just say I now know that I'll be having a hard time around the same time next year!

I remember a couple years ago reading Anne of Green Gables as a parent.
There was one passage that particularly struck me.
It is when Marilla looks at Anne as a young woman and see's her as a vibrant and silly 11 year old.  She is proud of what Anne has become, but misses the little girl at the same time.
I suddenly realized how bitter-sweet parenthood would be.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm cut out for it all; if I'll survive it.
How is my heart tougher and softer all at once?
Oh, but I am so glad for it!  I truly wouldn't have it any other way.

And so though I know Russ is beginning his journey outside of the home, I know it will be good for us all.  That's why we're doing pre-school.  And I just hope that our home can be a safe place of refuge where I can continue to enjoy my sweet little crazy for as long as possible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...