I was 16 and had just sat through a high school assembly about making good choices when the Principal told us all to sit back down.
He said an airplane had just crashed into one of the World Trade Towers. "What?" I actually thought they were putting us through a role-playing excercise to test how much we learned from the assembly. But no challenge followed his statement. Then the gravity of what he had said began to weigh down on me.
We were all sent back to class and I don't remember when I got word of the second plane, but I do remember walking down the hall hearing various theories and conspiracies as phone calls came in from informed parents. I remember feeling the closeness of it all. I was in Rhode Island, sandwiched between Boston, where the flights took off and New York, where they met their horrific end.
I remember watching images of the tragedy on the news and having group discussions about what was happening. I didn't have much to say because all I kept thinking about was how we truly are living in the last days.
I came home to my mother who had been bombarded by the incident on the news all day and supported her as she sobbed on my shoulder. I remember feeling shocked and saddened, but I also felt ready to face our times and the horrors we must face. I suddenly felt that part of my soul that was meant to live in the last days.
The world changed a little that day. We were all filled with courage, with kindness, with compassion. We all cared for one another for a fleeting moment. And though I'm sad to see that sense of unity and understanding has faded over time, I am glad that today, 10 years later my family and I just went to church, took some naps, and went for a lovely Autumn stroll through our neighborhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment