Originally we had 4 of those cute animal magnets {pictured below} on one sheet of paper above the line and every time he did something I didn't like he would have to move one magnet below the line. When they all went below the line, he would get a consequence {I like to give my kids a few tries anyway}.
Now this was exciting for me {and Russ as you can see} because it was elevated far beyond my wing-it, reactionary and generally uncontrollable previous methods... not to mention inconsistent.
But then my school psych husband came home and like always, made it even better. "Make it positive!" he says. And as usual I'm all like, "Uhh.. How do I do that?" And Ben proceeds to spell it out for me...
The result is lots of magnets below the line and everytime he does something the right way he gets to move a magnet above the line. When they all make it above the line, then he will get a reward! And as he gets better at it, we can add more magnets so he has to be even better to get the next reward.
AND... Russel and I had a great time making the magnets! They are just those foam stickers stuck to a piece of cardstock stuck to some magnetic tape. So far so good, I'll let y'all know how it goes.
What do you do for your unruly toddlers?
3 comments:
Girl--I'm still in the emotional, reactionary stage so I think I will be stealing this idea and running with it.
If you ever do go private, like you've been threatening to, be sure to let me in! :)
That is such an incredibly cool idea! I love the animal magnets, and the bright colors and that adorable grin on Russ's face. Hooray for a plan of action! And for positive reinforcement! Nice work.
Yeah, we totally don't have anything like that. Just nebulous terms like "special privilege" and "big consequences" that I dangle in front of them when I am desperate. But your idea is WAY WAY better. Thanks for sharing!
We have been in the same boat with Sam. He went from being our softhearted little peacemaker, to our very disobedient little trouble maker. I have been at my wits end with him for a while now. I love the magnet idea! I may just try that. I also am reading Love and Logic and it is making a HUGE difference.
Post a Comment