Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Real City and Things I Learned

We started out with a starkly beautiful winter's drive.

With Benjamin at the wheel and my babes soundly sleeping in the back of the beast, I had some sorely needed time for peace and reflection.

I mended my relationship with Alaska after not speaking for 20 days following my mistress, Florida. As I felt my heart swell with contentment, my thoughts turned to myself.

I realized once again the I need to write. Whether it's my journal, my prayers, or my blog, writing gives me the chance to reflect and make sense of a nonsensical world. I may not be the most eloquent or beautiful writer, but it's something I need to do. And right now at least, you're all in on the inner workings of my soul.

Then we arrived in the city: Anchorage. In all fairness, it is a real city after all.

I met up with my friend and her children when we promptly took off for the mall {a mall?! what's that?} I began driving the beast {who you will all meet soon} up the ramp to the parking garage when I looked up and read "Clearance 6'7"" and STOPPED. To make a story short, I forced two people to back down a ramp, into a city street with traffic. And I had to do the same with the beast. Then drive around to find parking while realizing I had no quarters for meters nor cash for a lot. Somehow I miraculously found a meter that takes credit cards!

I learned that I can deal with stressful situations a whole heck of a lot better than I used to. That I can choose to keep my cool. And that I can back up. In a beast. This was all a monumental accomplishment for the girl who backed into the curb not once, but twice during my driver's test and was able to pass it off on the torrential rain when really it wouldn't have made a difference.

The highlights of the weekend were swimming in the pool and Bouncing Bears. I was hesitant to pay for both boys at Bouncing Bears, because my little Russ' moods can be volatile and his social skills are but new-born babes, if not generally lacking.

But, I learned I should have more fun with my family on a regular basis, cuz we had a BLAST.


So much fun that we just had to love on eachother.
And I ate it right up.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Seeing the picture of the road there, I just thought, "Man it's a good thing they grew up in Rhode Island." Where else could have prepared you for driving in conditions like that?

And I love the magnets. You are a wise one my dear, and it seems you are married to a wise one as well:)

the andersons said...

I have also had to back up out of a parking garage (in a van) and make people behind me back up.. I was mortified!

Love your magnet idea. I have been wondering how to make disciplining more positive around here because it seems like everyone is always getting in trouble and I think I am going to try this out! Thanks for the great idea....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...